2018 has been an exciting year for Boston! The city is experiencing the biggest building boom in its history and that includes major renovations and construction of new hotels all over Boston.
Here is a recap of the biggest hotel news from the past year, as well as a glimpse into what you can expect from Boston’s hotel landscape in the future.
• AC Hotel by Marriott Boston Downtown: This past spring, the AC Hotel by Marriott Boston Downtown opened in the vibrant Ink Block community of Boston’s historic South End. Located 1.6 miles from the BCEC and 1.5 miles from the Hynes, the AC Hotel is adjacent to Chinatown, Financial, and Theater Districts and has easy access to highways and public transportation.
• Courtyard Boston Downtown / North Station: Opened in March 2018, the Courtyard Boston Downtown/North Station is located within walking distance of TD Garden (2.2 miles from the BCEC; 2.4 miles from the Hynes) and features 220 rooms and 2,500 sq. ft. of meeting space.
• Revolution Hotel: The Revolution Hotel officially opened on December 5 in Boston’s South End neighborhood, about 2.0 miles from the BCEC and 1.1 miles from the Hynes. The hotel features 164 rooms and impressive artwork inspired by Boston’s pioneering past.
• The Alise Boston, formerly Chandler Inn, South End (56 rooms) opened in February as the ninth property of Staypineapple and their first on the East Coast. The hotel is located 1 mile away from the Hynes and 2.2 miles away from the BCEC.
• The Row, Marriott Autograph Collection opened in August in Somerville’s Assembly Row – 4.7 miles from the BCEC and 5.6 miles from the Hynes. The hotel features 158 rooms and 7 suites and has a communal guest pantry, fitness center, and pool.
• Holiday Inn Boston Logan Airport – Chelsea opened in August 2018. The 124-room hotel is just 2 miles away from Logan with complimentary shuttle service, and has easy access to US RTE 1, RTE 16 and Interstate 93, and downtown Boston (5.7 miles from the BCEC; 7.2 miles from the Hynes)
• The Omni Boston Hotel at the Seaport officially broke ground in May 2018 with active construction in progress. Model rooms are expected to be ready in February 2019. The hotel is located across the street from the BCEC and is set to open in early 2021 with 1,055 rooms and approximately 100,000 square feet of meeting, event and pre-function space. Read more about the groundbreaking here.
• Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites: The 14-story, 400-room Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston Seaport will be located at 660 Seaport Blvd, just 0.5 miles from the BCEC. The hotel will feature 7,400 square feet of restaurant and retail space, a fitness center, heated pool, business center and an outdoor terrace and is set to open in September 2020.
• Hyatt Place: The 12-story Hyatt Place Boston Seaport District is expected to open in April of 2020 and will feature 294 guestrooms, rooftop lounge/private event space, 4,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, and 6,500 square feet of retail restaurant space. The hotel will be located across the street from the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion, just 0.5 miles from the BCEC. Read more here.
• CAMBRiA Hotel Boston Downtown: The new CAMBRiA Hotel is expected to open in March 2019 and will be located at 6 West Broadway in South Boston, 1.3 miles from the BCEC and 1.9 miles from the Hynes. The hotel will feature 159 rooms, 8 suites, and 1,600 square-feet of meeting space.
• Hyatt Centric Faneuil Hall: The new 12-story, 165-key boutique hotel will open in January 2019 in the heart of Downtown Boston overlooking Post Office Square (1.8 miles from the Hynes; 0.9 miles from the BCEC).
• The Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences One Dalton Street: the ultra-luxury 742-foot tower and set to be Boston’s third tallest building, will be finished in Spring 2019. One Dalton will include a Four Seasons Hotel with 215 rooms and 160 luxury condos, and is down the block (just 0.3 miles) from the Hynes and 2.4 miles from the BCEC.
Completed Major Renovations/Additions
• Hilton Boston Back Bay: Selective room renovations upgrading all bathrooms in the guest suites together with finishes, plus lobby renovations.
• Embassy Suites Boston at Logan Airport completed a full-scale renovation of their meeting and public spaces and guestrooms in March 2018.
• Boston Marriott Long Wharf: A $35 million renovation of rooms, suites with updated bathrooms and added amenities. The hotel’s 20,099 square feet of event space features newly transformed event venues including 19 event rooms and a Grand Ballroom.
• Kimpton Nine Zero: This spring, the Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel unveiled a $12 million renovation of their guestrooms which now include new, custom leather headboards, an Eames chair, Boston-minded artwork and more.
• Holiday Inn Express South Boston: 37,325 square feet were added to the existing Holiday Inn Express, including approximately 60 new guest rooms.
Upcoming Major Renovations
• The Colonnade Hotel: Between December 2018 and June 2019, the Colonnade will update all of its rooms and suites, as well as its lobby and public spaces.
• Taj Boston: the upcoming renovation of this historic property will include updating 273 guest rooms and creating an additional dozen rooms, modifying interior corridors, and permanently enclosing the existing seasonal rooftop restaurant. In addition, the luxury inn’s front door will be relocated from 15 Arlington Street to Newbury Street around the corner. The expected completion date is January 2020.
The hotel landscape is constantly changing in Boston. Our innovative, first-of-its-kind, Hotel Relations & Services Team is your personal concierge to the Boston hotel community – and they have their finger on the pulse of Boston’s hot hotel market. If you have questions about the hotel landscape in Boston, contact Phyllis Cheng, Director, Hotel Relations & Services. Alternatively, our easy-to-use Hotel Finder can help you to explore Boston hotels and to identify which ones are best suited to meet your event’s housing requirements.