This is the second part in a multi-part series exploring all of the exciting projects under development in the backyard of the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. From hotels, restaurants, and retail stores, to fitness studios, apartments, and office buildings, there is something new opening up each week here in South Boston’s Waterfront District.
This week we explore Fan Pier, a waterfront area that includes luxury apartments and offices, shops and restaurants, and even its own marina. This 21-acre parcel also contains the internationally acclaimed Institute of Contemporary Art, as well as the John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse, both of which secondarily serve as gorgeous special event venues!
Companies who have, or plan to have, offices at Fan Pier include Vertex Pharmaceuticals (the main occupant of this area), Intarcia Therapeutics, Keryx Biopharmaceutics, Polaris Partners (a venture capital firm invested in technology and healthcare companies), and Goodwin Procter LLP (a Global 100 Law Firm).
Restaurants already open or coming soon:
- Empire Asian Restaurant & Lounge, a 14,000 sq. ft., upscale, Asian-themed restaurant and lounge
- Strega Waterfront, a fine dining Italian restaurant with celebrity clientele and a thousand-bottle wine list
- Committee, an authentic Mediterranean restaurant specializing in tapas
- Babbo Pizzeria e Enoteca, by internationally acclaimed chef Mario Batali (who is also the creator of the popular Eataly food market, which opens in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood this fall)
- Mastro’s Ocean Club, a high-end seafood restaurant serving seafood, steaks, and chops
- Sorelle, a bakery/café
- LoLa 42˚, sister restaurant to Nantucket’s Lola 41, a bistro and sushi bar from Marco Coelho
- B.Good, a healthy fast food joint
- The Public Green, a lawn space for area workers, local residents, and casual passersby to relax and enjoy the waterfront
- Fan Pier Park, a green space offering tables, a fire pit, a lookout terrace over the water, and a tot-lot for young children
- Harborwalk, a community walkway that connects to Boston’s other waterfront areas, including the North End, Charles River Esplanade, and the Emerald Necklace
- Frank Anthony’s Gourmet Market, a neighborhood market
- Salon Mario Russo, a high-end hairdresser with another location on Newbury Street
- Laura LeDuc Fitness, one of the premier fitness trainers in Boston
- Bright Horizons, an early education and preschool center
- Leader Bank, a local bank headquartered in Arlington, MA
Check out our interactive map to view our centrally located venues and explore the neighborhoods our convention centers call home.